Appelflappen (apple beignets)
Though traditionally served in the Netherlands with oliebollen around New Year's, these are quite classic apple beignets.
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⅓ cups whole milk
- ½ tsp koshering salt
- 1⅛ tsp instant yeast
- 4 large apples (Golden Delicious or such) peeled, cored, sliced ¼" thick
- 6 cups frying oil vegetable
- 1 cup powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- Cover with plastic and let rest for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oil in a large pan to 375°F.Dry the slices, and put them one after the other through the batter, make certain they're fully coated, and don't fill the hole. I coat as many as fit in a batch of frying.Drop the coated slices in the oil and flip until golden brown, flipping over halfway through.It's nice doing this with two so one can coat the next batch's slices as the other slices.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and eat with your fingers.