I love this curry. It’s my favorite dish. I usually make it in enormous quantities in a 24″ work: it takes 5 hours or so of stirring, and, vacuum-packed it keeps in the freezer for 2, 3 years (we tested this), and sous-vide reheated it comes out tasting like it was just made.
Bebi Rendang Daging (Thrice Fried Dry Curried Beef)
- Large Wok
- Mortar and Pestle, Food Processor, or Blender
- 3 lbs Stewing Beef Cubed 1 1/2"
- 1 ½ ea Shallots Chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic Crushed
- 8 ea Chili Peppers Unseeded, Chopped
- 8 ea Candlenuts Chopped
- 2 tsp Coriander Ground
- 2 tsp Cumin Ground
- 1 tsp Turmeric Ground
- ½ tsp Kerrie Djawa Ground
- ½ tsp Galangal Ground
- 1 tsp Sereh Ground
- 1 tsp Laos Ground
- 1 tbsp Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Peanut Milk
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- 1 ea Daum Salam Leaf
- Put all the sauce paste ingredients into a blender.Blend with enough coconut milk to form a smooth thin paste.
- Mix the cubed meat with the spice paste until it is all covered.
- Fry the meat, coated in the spice paste until the spice paste turns a darker color and the meat is seared.
- Add the coconut milk.Stir and bring to a slow boil, stirring continuously.Reduce the heat to very low and simmer, uncovered, stirring continuously, until the meat is tender (about 2 hours).
- Once the oil separates, stir it back in.Continue cooking, stirring continuously until the beef is dark brown and thready, and has absorbed nearly all the sauce.
Bay Leaf for Daum Salam
Sambal Oelek for Chili Peppers