Coq au Riesling An attempt to sort of recreate something I ate a lon

Coq au Riesling An attempt to sort of recreate something I ate a lon

Coq au Riesling

An attempt to sort of recreate something I ate a long time ago, an Elzas/Alsace variation on Coq au Vin. The main difference being that it doesn’t use red wine and doesn’t include the onions. I also tried to account for the fact I don’t have ancient, leathery, tough chickens, but local organic ones, nice and tender. And I wanted to cook it all in one pot, just because. I think constraints make you think to make things better. Of course I used my 100+ year old cast iron Dutch oven. I was aiming for about 90 minutes of cooking time. The ingredient prepping took it well over that: about 2 hours beginning to end.

The first (and the last) picture is the finished dish plated, served over wide flat egg pasta with a bit of parsley.

The rest is more or less how I made it: cut up a whole chicken, stripping the skin, taking the breasts, thighs, and the drumsticks, flavor them with some salt and black pepper.

I prepared all the ingredients, measured and put them out in the lovely stainless steel bowls: chopped bacon, chopped shallots, peeled and chopped carrots, chopped celery ribs, peeled and crushed garlic cloves, flour, dry Riesling, water, bay leaves, parsley, and thyme, mushrooms, and crême fraîche.

I rendered the bacon, then added the chicken skin, back, and wings until they all browned.

Next saved off some of the fat, then added the carrots, celery, shallots, and garlic.

After cooking them until softened, I added the flour and stirred until it was all coating something and no longer showing.

Then I deglazed the pan with the wine, then added the rest of the wine, brought the heat up, added the wine and herbs, and brought it to a simmer.

I added the chicken pieces in a layer, dropped the heat, and cooked it with the lid on until the chicken read as done (about 170F for the breasts, 180F for the legs).

I took out the chicken pieces and set them aside, then strained the liquid out and put it in the fridge for 10, 15 minutes.

During that time I took out the bacon/chicken fat I saved off earlier and fried up the mushrooms until they stopped releasing liquid and browned nicely.

I took the liquid from the fridge, skimmed off the fat, added it to the pot and brought it to a boil, reducing it until thickened.

For convenience’s sake I deboned the chicken pieces and tore them up in smaller pieces, and returned them to the pot to heat through.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *