I love Irish Coffee. To me it’s important that the colder cream floats on top of the hot sweet whiskey-ed coffee.
I love Irish Coffee: the sweet, strong, black coffee with whiskey flowing through the cold cream layer is just heaven.
- Tall glass mug
- 1 cup coffee black, strong, hot, but not above 178F
- 3 tbsp sugar cane, granulated
- ¼ cup whisky Irish, preferably Bushmills Original
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream or, really, as much as fits
- Put the sugar in the glass or mug. Add the hot coffee and stir vigorously with a spoon until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Add the whiskey and stir vigorously with a spoon until it is well mixed.
- Put a tablespoon on top so its edges are even with the surface of the liquid and pour on cold heavy cream until it covers the top, moving the spoon up to keep the edges even with the surface of the cream.Carefully to not disturb the layers pull out the spoon.
Note to stir the sugar and coffee together before adding the whiskey. Note to pour the coffee gently in a spoon held bowl down.