A refreshing and gingery stock with spinach, a bit of chicken, and exotic flavoring.
Sop Bayam Jahe (Watercress and Ginger Soup)
A refreshing soup of Watercress, Ginger, and Chicken, with sweetened soy and spices flavoring.
- 2 tbsp peanut oil you can use canola oil instead
- 1 inch gingerroot grated
- 1 oz peanuts dry roasted, crushed (you can substitute other nuts or leave out entirely)
- 1½ pints chicken stock (you can use vegetable stock or water to make this vegetarian/vegan)
- 1 lb watercress finely chopped (you can substitute spinach)
- 4 oz chicken lean, cooked, shredded (you can substitute pork, or leave it out to make this vegetarian/vegan)
- 1 tsp corn starch
- ½ ts[ turmeric ground
- 3½ tsp kecap manis can make this out of equal parts soy sauce and cocnut palm sugar, some coriander and cumin.
- Cook the chicken stock (or water).If used, cook the chicken or pork, and shred it.Mix the spice blend with the meat (if used) and 2 tablespoons of stock (or water) into a paste.Clean and chop the spinach.Prepare the Base Ingredients.
- Heat the oil.Add the ginger and fry gently for 2 minutes.If used, add the peanuts and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the stock (or water).Add the watercress.Bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the Spice Blend paste and stir into the soup.Leave to simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes.